I’m a morning exerciser, which means that I’ve had to hotfoot it out of the gym, into the changing rooms and get ready for work as quickly as possible a number of times. We’ve all faced the issue of trying to apply makeup whilst still suffering from post-exercise sweat lip…it ain’t easy.
For those people that say they don’t have time to workout and get ready in the morning before work, here’s my guide on how to speed up your post exercise routine and make it to your desk on time.
1. Avoid the queue for the showers. Whether that means needing to leave the class right at the end of the workout, getting naked once you hit the showers (although this is a pet peeve of mine) or stretching in the shower. Get to know what the shower situation is like at your favourite class/gym.
2. I was given an Urban Turban for Christmas, this super absorbent, quick-drying towel is specially designed to twist and tie around your head. You can wear it while you dry your body and get dressed without those awful drips running down your back. Plus the towel fits in its own waterproof bag to carry it home in – I also tuck my shampoo and conditioner into the bag.
3. Back in November I had a treatment to permanently straighten and de-frizz my hair. This means that I can leave my hair to dry naturally, without having to straighten or use any products in it. This has been my biggest time saver by far. I am obsessed with my new hair, it doesn’t take out the volume, just the frizz!! If you have puffy/curly hair and would prefer it to be straight, I highly recommend trying a Keratin treatment.
3. Unless I really have to wash my hair, I rely on dry shampoo. It is seriously my best friend. I usually blast my hair with cold air to dry the sweat and add volume before liberally applying dry shampoo all over the roots.
4. I usually get half dressed, then blast my face with the cold air from the hairdresser to cool myself down before attempting make up. I don’t wear a whole lot of make up anyway (because I don’t know what I’m doing) but have streamlined my make up bag and routine for speed. Concealer, tinted moisturiser (NAKED skin Beauty Balm which includes an SPF in the light formula), bronzer, blusher, eyeliner, mascara and done! I use only a few products, plus my gym make up bag has Urban Decay bronzer, highlighter and blusher combination palette to save space!
5. Pre-order your smoothie, bring breakfast or have your coffee place lined up before you go into your class for a speedy refuel!
Do you have any tips that you would share?
I feel like keratin has totally changed my post work out, getting ready routine. Such a game changer and now I don’t have to worry about a crappy hair day. I need to get better about using dry shampoo too, so worried it’s just going to make my hair look gray!
I feel really daft. It has NEVER occurred to me to blast the hairdryer on cool to cool down! Great tips!
I prefer to wear a dress to work if I know I’m working out on my lunch hour because it lets me cool off faster! I usually workout at lunch, so I skip the concealer and opt for a face wash (without touching my eye makeup) and lotion, dry shampoo (blow pro is the best!!!) and a messy top knot. I also bring a roll on perfume and mineral hydrating mist to feel fresh. There’s always time for a workout! You just have to find it! 🙂
I’m getting my hair keratined again on Friday. I had it done a few years ago and it was great. I exercise before work or at lunchtime, it takes me 15 minutes to shower, dress and do my make-up. I usually just leave my hair wet and my make up is a 5 minute – concealer, eyeliner, eyebrow pencil, mascara job.
Good tips, and I’m really interested in the Keratin treatment! Could you still wave or curl your hair if you wanted to or would it hold?
I’ve streamlined my routine to just under 30 minutes. Luckily there’s usually more showers than women in the locker room.
The Urban Turban looks like a great gift idea. I’m hopeful that they offer those here in the US. Great post for the busy working women who value exercise!