I love reading Marathon race recaps- I get choked up hearing about other people’s experiences, even when I don’t know the person. I remember the pain, the elation, and the huge range of emotions involved with running 26.2 miles.
I’ve put together a Pinterest board with Chicago Marathon race recaps, plus added in some general info that I’ve established from these races. If you’re running Chicago or have run it before, please feel free to add your training posts and recaps to the Pinterest board (email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll add you to the board).
- Everyone says the race is super organised- yay!
- Security seems to be long to get into the start areas, plus the lines for the porta loos are long- get there with plenty of time before the corrals close at 7.20am.
- The bridges throw Garmin/watch splits off so don’t rely on these to stick to your pace. I’m planning on running at least the first 15+ miles with the 3.35 pace group if possible.
- There are plenty of water stations with water and Gatorade- but in cups. I haven’t decided yet whether I’ll run with a hydration pack or not.
- Running the tangents is hard so it’s likely you’ll run over 26.2 miles- I may need to readjust my pace to compensate for this.
- It seems that there’s an easy shuttle bus from Nike to the race expo- double shopping opportunities!
- The weather is very variable!
- Apparently there are some awesome drag queens spectating!
- There’s a hill right at the end- how did I not know this before- how mean of the race organisers!
I know a few people are coming over from the UK to run Chicago as well as a number of US runners/readers- I’d love to meet some of you in real life, either for some carb loading or a shake out jog. If I organised something, would you be interested? Let me know in an email or in the comments!