Cavolo Nero Halloumi Salad
- 500 g sweet potato cut into 2.5-cm (1-in) cubes
- 2 red onions each cut into 8 wedges
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 300 g pearled spelt
- 200 g cavolo nero or kale
- 1 red chilli deseeded and finely sliced
- 150 g halloumi sliced into half 1cm slices
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp runny honey
- 1 small clove garlic crushed
- Preheat the oven to 200 ̊C/400°F/gas mark 6. Line a large roasting pan with baking paper.
- Toss the sweet potato and red onion with 1⁄2 tablespoon of the olive oil and put into the prepared pan. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add the stock (bouillon) cube and stir to dissolve. Add the spelt and reduce to a simmer, then cook for 25–30 minutes until the spelt is tender but still a little chewy.
- Add the cavolo nero or kale to the vegetables in the roasting pan and return to the oven to roast for a further 5–7 minutes, or until the greens are starting to crisp up.
- Drain the spelt and add it to the roasting pan along with the chilli and roast for a final 5 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 1⁄2 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan (skillet) over a medium heat. Add the cheese to the pan and fry for 5 minutes, or until golden and slightly melted.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients and season to taste.
- Serve the roasted salad while still warm, topped with the cheese slices and with the dressing drizzled over.
Read more How Many Carbs Do Runners Need?