Black Bean & Butternut Squash Tacos
As you ramp up the intensity in both duration and speed, you need to look to increase your protein intake and your carbohydrate intake. A 3:1 carbohydrate to protein ratio is what we’re looking for, but as long as you’re including both in your post workout meal, you should be good! I am obsessed with Mexican style food – not even going to pretend this is authentic. But it is delicious. Another dish you can customise by using sweet potato instead of butternut squash, kidney beans in place of black beans, and can add your fish, chicken, chorizo, beef or prawns in alongside the veggie packed dish.
- 250 g butternut squash peeled and diced into 1 inch squares
- 2 red onions finely sliced
- 2 peppers sliced
- 1/2 red cabbage shredded
- 400 g black beans
- 1 avocado
- 2 limes
- 3 spring onions
- Handful of coriander
- chilli flakes
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- grated cheese
- sour cream or yoghurt
- 8 corn flour tortillas
Fajita Seasoning (or used shop bought!)
- 1/2 tbsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Preheat oven to 200/180. In a large roasting tin, toss together the butternut squash with half of the oil and roast for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and fry the onions for 10 mins until softened, add the peppers and cabbage with spices and a splash of water. Cook for 10mins until softened. Stir in the beans and cooked butternut squash.
- Meanwhile, peel and mash the avocado. Mix in lime juice, spring onions, coriander and chilli flakes. Season to taste.
- Add the tortillas to the oven to soften. Fill tortillas with veggie mix and top with chopped tomatoes, cheese and Greek Yogurt/sour cream.
Read more about Fibre for Runners here.