I have been reading blogs for what feels like a long time, (well over 5 years) and there are many that I still read on a daily basis, while others flit into and out of my consciousness. There are also some that I have switched off from completely for various reasons. As a reader, and fellow blogger, there are a few things that really get my goat on blogs and make me delete them from my bloglovin!
5 Blogger Bugbears
- No disclaimer to say whether they were given something for free/paid to write it. In the US you have to be very upfront about when you’ve been paid to say something, which I do think makes me more sceptical about what I’m reading. In the UK we haven’t got any laws on this yet, however I think it is best practise to at least acknowledge if you were given/sent something, even if you don’t write a disclaimer at the end. It’s just polite to inform your readers.
- Not linking to other bloggers, or acknowledging where you got your ideas from. There have been a few times were I’ve seen a blogger I know (or don’t) write a very similar post or idea to one I have recently posted, with no ‘got this idea from…’ link. Similarly when people use my photos without links, or crowd sourced comments without linking to who originally gave the idea. Again, it’s just good manners to say thanks.
- Posts that are verbatim written by a sponsor without any original content or images, especially when the content has been around the houses ie. sent to a number of bloggers. I’m proud to write all my own content, and use my own photos as much as possible.
- Blogs where ALL of the content is reviews of products or events. I want more than just that…
- Blogs that are difficult to navigate/read on a phone or tablet- currently my own annoys me a little too, so I have plenty to work on. Overcrowded pages also put me off as do lack of photos or poor quality images.
And lastly, a nod (or shake of the head) to twitter snarking… not limited to only bloggers, but horrid nonetheless. I don’t feel it’s necessary or needed to be horrid in public, in my opinion this goes in the same category of trolling. Horrid, unnecessary and down right cruel. What happened to the mantra, ‘if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything’?
What do you love about blogs and what do you wish you could change?