5 a-day Asian Noodle Salad
The recent American Gut Health Study tested the gut health of Brits, Australians and Americans, and discovered that those with 30+ plant points in their diet per week had better gut health than those with just 10. We want to aim beyond just the 5-a-day, and aim for 30 different source of plant fibre per week – fruits, veggies, herbs, grains, seeds and nuts.
- 1/2 red cabbage shredded
- 2 large carrots coarsely grated
- 2 spring onions finely sliced
- 1/2 cucumber
- 2 peppers I used red and yellow
- 400 g beansprouts
- 100 g vermicelli noodles
- Cooked chicken, king prawns or tofu optional
- 1/2 cup avocado or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- Mix together the dressing ingredients (oils, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce and lime juice) in a blender or food processor until creamy.
- Cook the noodles according to pack instructions, add the beansprouts to the boiling water for 90 seconds, then rinse in cold water and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the vegetables with the cooked, cooled noodles and beansprouts. Toss through the salad dressing, divide between four and garnish with peanuts and coriander. Add chicken, prawns or tofu if using. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Read more about Fibre for Runners here